sexta-feira, junho 04, 2004
Leitura partilhada II
«I can quit any of my nineteen injurious habits at any time, and without discomfort or inconvenience. I think that the Dr. Tanners and those others who go forty days without eating do it by resolutely keeping out the desire to eat, in the beginning, and that after a few hours the desire is discouraged and comes no more.

Once I tried my scheme in a large medical way. I had been confined to my bed several days with lumbago. My case refused to improve. Finally the doctor said, -

"My remedies have no fair chance. Consider what they have to fight, besides the lumbago. You smoke extravagantly, don't you?"

"Yes."

"You take coffee immoderately?"

"Yes."

"And some tea?"

"Yes."

"You eat all kinds of things that are dissatisfied with each other's company?"

"Yes."

"You drink two hot Scotches every night?"

"Yes."

"Very well, there you see what I have to contend against. We can't make progress the way the matter stands. You must make a reduction in these things; you must cut down your consumption of them considerably for some days."

"I can't, doctor."

"Why can't you."

"I lack the will-power. I can cut them off entirely, but I can't merely moderate them."»


"Following The Equator", Mark Twain
posted by George Cassiel @ 1:18 da tarde  
0 Comments:
Enviar um comentário
<< Home
 

GEORGE CASSIEL

Um blog sobre literatura, autores, ideias e criação.

_________________


"Este era un cuco que traballou durante trinta anos nun reloxo. Cando lle chegou a hora da xubilación, o cuco regresou ao bosque de onde partira. Farto de cantar as horas, as medias e os cuartos, no bosque unicamente cantaba unha vez ao ano: a primavera en punto." Carlos López, Minimaladas (Premio Merlín 2007)

«Dedico estas histórias aos camponeses que não abandonaram a terra, para encher os nossos olhos de flores na primavera» Tonino Guerra, Livro das Igrejas Abandonadas

 
About Me

George Cassiel
Portugal
See my complete profile
E-mail
georgecassiel[at]hotmail.com
Search

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Outras coisas a dizer
Caixa para alguns comentários (mais permanentes) em breve.
Template by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

® 2004-2008 by George Cassiel